Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Thing # 16 - Wikis

I never knew what Wikipedia meant. I always knew that it was an encyclopedia that anyone could contribute to but now I know the underlying meaning behind it. I think Wikis could be of great help for our teachers or our students. There are many wikis that could be set up, either with curriculum or a certain topic. Students could add to the information around a project. Teachers could add to the information around a certain staff development project. I went into the sandbox project and posted a wiki entry. I was able to read some others as well. A lot of the links that were provided while working on Thing #16 were excellent. I especially like Joyce Valenza's posting. I like all of the different wikis that were set up. I liked the book lists that can be added to and changed. I also liked the wikis on podcasts. There are a lot of wikis out there for me that can help me become a better librarian and I can also contribute back to them. But, I would like to set up a wiki this year at our school, maybe try it at the Junior High level with a teacher. We could start a wiki on the Catholic Saints. It would be interesting and fun to try. It will be nice to integrate the technology that I have learned into our school little by little.

No comments: